Friday, September 18, 2009

Hope

I have been reading the Old Testament book of Job as he was hit with more tragedy than I have been. Each day that I read there is always something for me to grab and think about. At one point this man of faith believed that God was destroying the people, animals, and possessions in his life and then attacked his health. He had forgotten Who God was and how much He loved him. It made me realize that our beliefs either make us hopeless or full of hope.

We have the advantage of reading why these things were happening to him: God gave Satan permission to test Job's faith in God. God allows bad things but doesn't cause them. If we believe that God is doing these things to us, then where is hope? What a depressing thought! How can you fight God's power? That is why Job became very depressed too. He didn't understand why God was doing all of these things to him when they had had a good relationship.

Hope comes from knowing Who God is and understanding His love for me. He has always been faithful to me no matter what is happening in my life. This is no different. God did not give me cancer; it is a disease that many of us have to fight. My hope is knowing that my loving Lord is going on this journey with me. My hope is knowing that He has been on this journey with me since July. My hope is knowing that almost everything that I did to prepare to go to India, is helping me on this journey too. Why? Because God knew that I was not going: my house didn't get on the market, the junk in my home is gone, my car didn't sell, repairs and painting have made my home a beautiful place to be, my job at school was filled at the end of the year, and church responsibilities were filled by others. He knew. I didn't. He knew. All has fallen into place. Hope? Yes! Hope is knowing that He didn't give me cancer but He will hold my hand every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment