Friday, June 17, 2011

Friends

So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God
because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God. 
Romans 5:11  NLT

Friends are so special and so different.  You have friends who are in your life for one season and others who span most of your life.  Because I will be leaving my friends in Kent and moving to San Jose, I have been spending time with many of them.  Each one is so different and tugs at my heart strings in different ways. 
  • One day this week I had dinner with one of my closest friends.  We haven't seen much of each other in about two years but when we get together, time doesn't matter.  It feels like we have been involved in each other's life regularly.
  • One of my friends lived with me for five months while I was going through chemo.  Even while going to work, she cooked, cleaned, and did laundry for me.  Every morning this thoughtful friend fixed food for me to eat for breakfast, snacks, and lunch.  She met all of my needs.
  • Another friend has walked with me through divorce and illness.  She is practical and has helped with paperwork, getting a small refrigerator upstairs during my chemo months, getting the garbage out on the correct day, and grocery shopping.  Practical things that needed to be done.
  • One friend drove me to chemo almost every week and stayed with me during the three+ hours.  After surgery or emergencies, she would also sleep at the hospital when family members couldn't.  This organized friend made sure that I was where I needed to be...and on time.
  • Others have helped with school needs, meals, visits, cards, flowers, and encouragement. 
Friends have been very, very important to me but they are limited by time, location, and the physical.  God is not limited.  He can and does fulfill all of these needs.  If I don't take time for Him, He is still present and is familiar when I do stop and focus on Him.  He gives me energy and focus to get the practical things in life accomplished...or He sends a friend or family member to help. 

As I depart on this journey, I will cling to Him while I grieve the distance from friends.  It will be another new experience with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment