Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Inside Beauty

The outside heat is up...
                       so the inside fans are on...

People can be the opposite because it is the inside that produces beauty on the outside.  I've been taught this throughout life and strongly believe it.  But, once cancer became a part of my life, I found myself being self-conscious of my appearance:  bald, hair growing back differently than it had been, weakness so that make-up is often a luxury, and wheelchair/walker in my future.  Not just growing old but physical changes quicker than expected.

This week I was given a picture of a couple from India who were visiting their son at church.  I have known this family for over two years and they have faithfully prayed for me.  In the picture the beautiful couple and I were saying good-bye as they head back to their home.  I looked terrible!  I was wearing one of my favorite outfits - giraffe crops, giraffe shirt - but the top did not have a collar.  (I do not like to go without a collar due to my "double chin".)  At the time I thought that I could branch out and wear collarless shirts.  Ha!  I looked terrible! 

My great-great nephew sent me a video saying, "Hi Aunt Kathy!  Oh.  I love you.  Bye."  In three months he has learned to talk and the video is so cute.  I made one for him that told him "Hi and that I loved him."  I looked terrible!  I recorded it three times and, guess what, I looked the same. 

What I have discovered is that it truly is the inside that matters.  People keep telling me that I look fine, good, healthy.  Why do we see different characteristics?  My family and friends know me, love me, and see the complete me.  That is the way God sees me.  That is where my focus should be:  it is the inside that matters! 

The Lord is my strength and shield.
I trust Him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.
Psalm 28:7  NLT

Emotional & physical strength, shield from negative self-talk, and day to day help.  Remembering Him and all that He does, I can trust His opinion and sing songs of thanksgiving with joy.  Focus on the inside...


No comments:

Post a Comment