Sunday, August 14, 2011

Naomi or Mara?

Is the glass half empty?  Can God be trusted to protect you?  Is there light at the end of the tunnel?  Does God love us even when painful circumstances come into our lives?

Naomi left Israel due to a famine.  While living in a foreign land her two sons married.  Her husband died.  Then her two sons died.  The famine ended and she returned to Israel.  One daughter-in-law, Ruth, left her country to travel with Naomi.  What could this lady remember or have learned?  What can we learn from her?  Remember, we see the complete story while she only saw what was happening at the time. 

When her friends heard that she had returned, they greeted their friend by calling her by name, "Naomi".  She told them to call her "Mara for the Almighty has made life very bitter for me.  I went away full but the Lord has brought me home empty."  (Ruth 1:20 - 21)  I can see her anger or bitterness.  I can see the negative circumstances.  I can see her pain.  But, I can also see that she is still aware that God is present in her life.  This mother-in-law goes on to help Ruth get food and eventually a husband.  She gets angry, is aware of the true and living God, and continues to be a responsible, loving mother to her daughter-in-law.

Because of the written word, the Bible, we have promises and a better understanding of God's love.  From this passage we can see that when we get angry, bitter, or frustrated with God, He is still with us.  He will still love us and bless us.  When we complain, He still wraps His loving arms around us to comfort and strengthen us.  Wow!  He loves us unconditionally.  He loves me unconditionally. 

I wanted to go to church today.  I wanted to feel stronger.  I wanted...but instead, the Lord stayed with me, surrounded me, and loved me.  What could be better?  Nothing!  My glass is half full!


No comments:

Post a Comment