Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tunnels on the Path

Do you know what "spelunking" is? The past few days I have been making a book of my pictures of paths, stairs, and tunnels. While looking up sites about tunnels, the word "spelunking" came up so I googled it. It is a term used for cave explorations. That seemed interesting and yet frightening: going down into the unknown darkness.


Sometimes our daily life feels like we are going into unknown places without a guide, without light. This week there have been several prayer requests for people at the end of their lives or those facing horrendous challenges. One thread that seemed to connect them was the need for strength, comfort, wisdom, peace, timing, and salvation. They are in a tunnel, cold, dark, unknown and needing light. And, this immovable tunnel is right on their path.

A young mother can be at home with a screaming baby or child and feel like she is being pushed beyond her endurance. As she gets closer to the edge of the tunnel, she stops and calls for help.

A baby is born prematurely and must stay in the hospital's incubator when his mother goes home. The whole family stops and calls for people to pray.

An elderly man has been told that there is nothing left to be done for him. Respite care is called in to help. Some of the family is out of state and wanting to see their father one more time.  The church is called and the prayer chain is called into action.

In the cold, dark, unknown tunnels in life there is an end. When we enter the tunnel, we may not be able to see what is ahead, but we do know our Guide. We may not like what is inside the dark situation, but we do know our Counselor. We may not be able to change the situation, but we do know our loving Shepherd. There will be cracks in the tunnel where light breaks thru, even if just for a minute: trust.  It is called "TRUST".


The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to His name.
Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for You are close beside me.
Your rod and Your staff
protect and comfort me.
Psalm 23:1 - 4 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment