Sunday, April 15, 2012

What is Good?

Blood tests were good.  CT Scan showed no change, which is good. (Tumors have remained the same sizes without any growth.)  The visit from my nephew, my great nephew, and my great niece was very good.  Appointment with my oncologist was good as she continues to get my thinking into reality. (Kidney cancer has no cure.  I will not be "healthy" like I want. Target medications that stop the growth of the tumors all have side effects.)  Plus, my brother tries to remind me of reality vs desire.  Both are trying to help me accept where I am.  Grieve what is gone and use the tools and adaptations that will make my life be as productive as I desire.  (Accept - not settle - there is a difference.)

"Good" is a matter of perspective in the same way that "God is good" has a lot to do with our willingness to see Him at work.  We use phrases like "Good News" and "Good Shepherd" and "God saw that it was good" and "every good and perfect gift comes down from God our Father".  How do we know what is "good"?  Micah tells us:

...the Lord has told you what is good,
and this is what He requires of you:
to do what is right,
to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8  NLT

Our Bible tells us so...we - I - need to pick it up and read it so that we - I - know what is good, where to look for God in our lives - my life, and how to measure good vs evil. 

How do I know what is a "good" attitude when it comes to my health?  As you know, one of my very favorite passages is Philippians 4:8 - 9:  "Fix your thoughts on what is true... honorable...right...pure...lovely...admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you."  If I read my Bible everyday, talk to God throughout each day, use mercy as my yardstick for treating others, and discipline my thoughts and actions, it will become clear to me. 

It is true that I have kidney cancer (or that you are single, childless, jobless, at war, far away from home, misunderstood, in pain, etc.).  It is true that there is no cure at the present time.  It is true that my activities are limited by fatigue, neuropathy, breathing.
It is true that I will not be teaching in a classroom again.  It is true that I will be living in San Jose and not in my townhouse again.  It is true...it is true...it is true.  But, it is also true and worthy of praise that God meets me daily.  He loves me.  He has a plan.  He knows the plan.  He guides me.  He has prepared me for this point in my life.  And, most of all it is true that He is good.  "Think on these things" and I will be doing the same.






No comments:

Post a Comment