Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What Do You See? Hear?

When I was living in Kent, I'd sleep with the window open and listen to the springtime birds chirping. It was a great way for me to feel alive, feel joy, and feel energy for a new day.  One morning turned from beautiful sounds to noisy crows.  I got up and looked out the window and saw about a dozen crows begin attacking one crow. That bothered me for a long time, but I then decided that the crow was probably injured.  It was interesting how one crow sat up on the roof and called for other crows to come. Then, together, they "attacked" the lone bird.  I guess that it is all part of the "circle of life".

Now, in sunny San Jose, I can hear and see many interesting birds:  mockingbird, mourning dove, hummingbird, crow, hawk, geese, seagull, and various types of sparrows.  Each one has its own unique sound. It is beautiful and very fascinating to watch them go about their day.  Alone, in pairs, or a small flock, the interactions with other birds, the wind, or insects can be time consuming. Many fictional stories can be written about these encounters. 

Then, just like in Kent, a crow did something that I did not want to see:  he stole an egg from the nest of a mockingbird.  This noisy chasing happened over the course of a few hours. The mockingbird would fly close to the crow like it was playing tag. Then the crow would swoop around and be gone. A while later, the smaller bird would fly by and then you'd see the crow.  After a lively afternoon, the crow flew by with something in its mouth and the mockingbird right behind it, still "yelling" at the thief.



And then you see the wings, large and beautiful. It soars through the air alone or in a flock.  This aggressive bird communicates with others of the same species.  The uncomfortable behavior of this survivor is in its interactions with other creatures.  Is that what God sees when we interact with others?  Does He hear us yelling at a stranger or cursing at a family member?  What does He see when He sees you and me?  What does He hear when He listens to us?

Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way.
It is not irritable,
and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice
but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up,
never loses faith,
is always hopeful,
and endures through every circumstance.
I Corinthians 13:4 - 7  NLT


(If you are reading my blog from outside of the United States, would you please leave me a comment:  where are you, how did you find my blog, what is your situation?  I am just curious.  Thank-you!)






No comments:

Post a Comment