Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent Can Be Exciting

Have you ever wondered what children are expecting at Halloween? At Birthdays? At Christmas? If I was teaching, I would have students write about their expectations. They get so excited when a holiday is coming.

Tonight I am going to a concert and I am sooooo excited! No energy. No Energy. No ENERGY! But, I AM GOING!!!  Straight No Chaser is a men's a capella group. I have heard them and seen a video of one of their shows. They are fantastic! But, why am I excited? What am I expecting that would push me to get ready?

Advent is an exciting time but our culture tends to make it stressful:  shopping, decorating, baking, cards, mailing, entertaining.  But, put it back into perspective of what advent is:  waiting for the Savior, celebrating His earthly birth. The rest is pressure put on us by our culture. God loves us no matter what we finish or leave undone this year.

Why is Advent exciting? Well, what could be better or more important? We are celebrating Jesus' coming to Earth from Heaven, taking on human form, sacrificing all for us. Exciting? It is exciting to stop and think about how much He loves us. None of us has ever or can ever sacrifice what He did for us. Leaving Heaven??? Leaving His throne?  Leaving His place next to the Father? That is so awesome - fantastic - exciting!  I am excited because I want to be reminded everyday of His unconditional, sacrificial love for me. Manger scenes, carols, Christmas songs, children's plays, Luke 2, and some cards are reminders for me of the true reason for Advent. 

Why am I excited for the concert? What do I expect that is worth pushing my body so hard? I expect to experience lively music, humor, beautifully blended sounds, fellowship, and the making of a warm memory.  I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment