Saturday, December 10, 2011

Advent Can Be Prayerful

While reflecting on the past few days, it was obvious that my energy came in spurts. Yesterday, after sleeping until five pm, I had energy for a few little things. I was able to do a few things for others. It was a great feeling as usually people are waiting on me. The other observation was that the concert was worth the tole it took on my body. That is how I will decide which events to push toward:  no energy used prior to the event, eat healthy, plan on sleeping the following day, and enjoy.

The leading up to the concert was very exciting. All of us were looking forward to a fun evening and we were not disappointed. Straight No Chaser is a group of showmen. Very entertaining and talented singers. But, why the excitement? What were the expectations? People around us were equally as excited and most of them had seen these men in person several times. For us, it was new but we expected beautiful singing mixed with choreography and humor. An evening of laughing. The musicians did not disappoint. The excitement matched the performance.

Will Advent match the excitement? While growing up, I remember this month leading up to Christmas as very stressful. There was a "to-do" list that caused a lot of pressure. My personality is one that I will make the list but whatever doesn't get done is ok. We adjust without that being done.  (Ok, except for cleaning when guests were coming. That could add stress the kids and those around me.) Plus, I used to have the goal of getting shopping completed by the end of October.  That worked for me because decorating and baking were important...and cards.  So, did the excitement match reality?

My excitement leading up to December 24 and 25 is about people. Who will I see? What can I do to make the holiday memorable for others? How do I make the celebration center around Jesus?  Well, prayer needs to be added.

When the season includes daily prayer time, it is our invitation for God to join us. "Lord, please help me keep You the center of Advent and our celebrations on Christmas Eve and Day. I love You and want this time to be Yours."  The thought that He left Heaven for me, for us, is such an enormous sacrifice that I have to give Him center stage. Prayer is one way to do that: a specified time in my routine, or sporadic if that is your personality. Talking with Him makes me focus.

For a Child is born to us,
a Son is given to us.
The government will rest on His shoulders.
And He will be called:
Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace
Isaiah 9:6  NLT

The song, "Move Me Closer (A Shepherd's Prayer)" by Evie Tornquist is playing. It talks about moving closer to the Lord in the manger scene. That is my prayer today and all of Advent:  "Lord, please move me closer to You. Show me how to be more like You and to live aware of Your Presence."



No comments:

Post a Comment