Thursday, December 15, 2011

Advent Is About Our Radiant Lord

What does radiant mean? I can tell you what it doesn't mean. I am not radiant.  Today I couldn't even muster up enough energy to go to the Ralph Carmichael Big Band concert.  It would have been invigorating and I could have spent time with some people from church.  No energy. Headache. Blurry vision. Did I say "No Energy"?
 
According to the dictionary, RADIANT can be a noun or an adjective:  emitting light or filled with light.  Beaming. Bright. Brilliant. Glowing. Dazzling. Do those words make you think of anything or anyone?  Does this word make you think of Christmas?
 
The star that led the wise men was radiant. The angel announcing Jesus' coming birth was radiant. Many people think that pregnancy makes a woman radiant. Pictures portray the Baby Jesus as being radiant. All mean bright, brilliant, glowing, and joyful.
 
The Baby Jesus fills us with joy. He is radiant because He beams unconditional love. He is radiant because He dazzles us with His wisdom.  He is radiant because He brightly shows us the way to Heaven. He is radiant because He emits light on truth. Jesus is the One Who embodies love, joy, peace, and hope.
 
How does that relate to everyday? Tonight I was very disappointed that I did not get to go and hear Big Band music. Then two blessings from God came my way: a Christmas gift from Tim & Rachel and Maggie brought me the ball to play with her. Their gift is one that I can and will use daily.  God knew that Tim & Rachel thinking of me in a personal way would put a smile on my face.  God knew that sitting near the tree and the glowing fire with Maggie would be comforting to me. 
 
Thinking about the Radiance of our Lord Jesus puts a smile on my face. Reflecting on His personal touch in daily life is what Christmastime gives me.  No energy? But, it does give me time to reflect and see His personal touch in my life.  It gives me time for prayer or conversation with the Father.  Advent is about our Radiant Lord.
 
Suddenly, the angel was joined by a vast host of others
—the armies of heaven—
praising God and saying,
 
“Glory to God in highest heaven,
and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.”
Luke 2: 13 - 14  NLT





No comments:

Post a Comment