Sunday, December 4, 2011

Advent Can Be Personal

Whether moving, planning a wedding, going on a trip, preparing for surgery, or at the end of your life, it is personal. Often we think of preparations for Christmas as a group or family project: decorating, buying gifts, sending cards, baking cookies, school performances, wrapping the gifts, caroling, or setting up the manger scene.  But, to make the Advent season meaningful, it must be personal too.

I was impressed and excited when one young lady posted that she was going to read part of the Christmas story from the Bible each day prior to Christmas.  What a great example and decision!  Others are making lists and "checking them twice".  Some friends have chocolate advent calendars to open each day. All of this made me realize that I need everyday to be a personal journey with God because it is Advent.

My journey has made me more aware of death and Heaven.  I have a playlist on my iPod labeled "Heaven" as well as Christmas, Worship, Christian, Country, Classical, Oldies, Jazz, etc.  Writing to special people in my life is part of my preparation. Making sure that bank accounts, etc are set up to make the transition easy for others has taken place. Possessions and little details have been thought about.

But, what is special this month, this time of preparing for the celebration of Jesus' birth? Bible reading, being aware of blessings, daily thanking Him for His sacrifice for me, and looking at creation, life, people as daily gifts from God.  That is what I will do this month that is different than my daily routine: focus on the gift(s) that He has personally given me.

Years ago, God made a rainbow just for me. This summer He sent a "get well" balloon into the yard just for me. The birds visit the yard just for me. This bedroom is here just for me. The palm trees are visible just for me.  Music plays just for me. The laughter I hear is just for me. And, Jesus came to earth, just for me.

When we personalize all that He does and has done,
Advent becomes very special and very personal.
Celebrate His touch in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment